Monday, February 22, 2010

I remember

SJC I remember
your vast expanse of grounds-
that spread the world
out there for me
in many a vibrant colour
there I saw esteemed
Sister Mary
as chubby as her kindness
that was there defined
in every single crease
on that friendly face
dignity stood proud
upon a lone white hair
jutting from her chin.

SJC I remember
our nose fronted 'Blue Bus'
it ferried squash'd and squeeling
school kids, plus
my half dozen siblings
from Krishna Puri to
the Ghat Mahendroo
its wheels did steadily reel
screechily when bus
came to halt
were throngs and throngs
of hawkers-
they yelled to shell out
pachak and golgappa
peppered guava did entice
while mouth watering were
the lavishly served
spicy chats of aaloo.

The moustached 'Golden' man
doled out
ice-creams from his box
his indulgent smile
spoke in volumes of satisfaction
it flick'd and gleam'd
as lollies were licked off
we then galloped
on and on, hopped across
rows and rows of
stone bench
to hastily quench
the thirst we drank
from leaky cups
of hand.

SJC I remember
flights of hungry ravens-
in hoards they swooped
down upon mates
who flock'd in grounds
behind shut green gates
to run in merry play
it was then
those beasts descended
to prey at lunch hour
our food was grabbed
snatched taken away
devoured, consumed
in jolly galore;
all we did was turn
our eyes with a sorry sigh
to look up
at the open sky
with tears and dismay

SJC I remember
those ghostly ghostly tales
spun by boarders -
they cheekily played
silly games of planchett
then recounted with brags
of gal nightly visits
and spiritly encounters
to astound and scare
very life off us, who
turned away in gay abandon,
bidding them adieu-
every afternoon
we went to homes
leaving them in school.

SJC I remember
the games - budhiya kabbadi
kho kho, dots and crosses
roses and posies
march to beat of drums
chanting prayers
and hymns were sung
in classrooms and assembly;
sounds of songs rose high
to kiss, reverberate
thru' the beams that adorn'd
our old music hall
a lasting spell was cast upon us
when Bollywood classics
got screened-
then there were
plays, debate, elocution
fancy dress competition
were held to cheer, enchant
there was challenge and salute
with varied talent displays.

SJC I remember
eerie narrow stairs
right beside the auditorium door
that led high
to junior lab and library
it catered with
Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys,
Famous Five, Secret Seven
Naughty Girl of Enid Blyton
thrilled to bits, primed us
for adventures
in our lives.

In lessons were: 'Miss
please excuse me'
for not needed escapades to loo
then were times
when we conspired
to peek inside
the habit to gain
some very naughty views
then were times
of innocent wander
exploring the rear corridors
curiosity brought me
to chance and peep inside
nuns' living quarters
where silence often graced
aisles were quiet
inside the Chapel
where I could get
a taste of peace.

SJC my alma mater
I'll always remember
the decade well spent
learning what
life ought be from you:
physical and social sciences
man is a social animal
problem solving with maths
hand in hand go rights and duty
honour, courage and humility
to let devotion integrity
guide, be compass
when ways felt lost
we learnt here to
say with ease - 'I love you'
and lasting friends for life
I gained so many, SJC
I got much
too much from you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

truly nostalgic!