Thursday, October 31, 2013

Who am I?

Wrapped in blue 
of time tattered shawl
in still, silent solitude
I sit tall
taking stock 
of vestiges that’ve fallen
off me.

I see
daughter, sister, mother, lover
a woman
who stubbornly nurtures 
a wayward child within
a professional loving to serve
changing cloak, coat and hat 
whenever health bugles have called
for ailment to take a toll
or suffering to give a knock -
she’s been there 
in care 
to be.

And now that urn
has shown crack
letting each role leak
slip past
there comes to note
a self 
that quietly sits -
unblinkered, unfazed by light
it looks around to 
find and pick 
of pieces lying around
choosing to ask
who am I?
whats here thats mine
for me?

I seek
with perseverence 
wanting to keep 
whats ‘me’ in me
I grope 
feel raw at shorn edge
I wish to make myself 
one and whole
from all remains 
that're scattered here
so I stop to look 
look again to see;
each fragment 
of my broken form
for sure 
furthers off my extended reach
it recedes like a mirage
fades away
as though it were
merely an illusion.

Subtly softly
truth comes to fore 
to say, hey you
you do not grieve
destiny had to take control
to tear apart 
all shroud, cover and veil
it had to mortar
my colourful shell 
to bits 
that bore mark of me my and mine
too proud in shallow identity
the one who sits at core
was aching to be revealed.
It has been
long time 
to let it be known
an introduction
was waiting to happen
its wanted to be seen
as one that had endured
myself through
haps and mishaps -
this self was present with me
all through and so much more!
It beseeches
and asks of me
to know 
what's my true identity:
who I was
who I am 
and choose
who I want to be.

So I rest 
to listen
as this ‘I’ 
in whispres beguns
to speak
unscathed, unscarred by all
it longs for rhythm 
and dance of life as me
be joyous, revel in sunshine
simply moon at moon of night sky
living beyond 
each and every realm
being happy, laugh, smile and be 
present with every
sight, sound, smell, sense and taste
that's ushered in
as my life 
turns its page.
The roles I lived
lasted a while
for this observer
to go on being with me 
without any holding back
my ‘I’
was always here
not known
or recognised by me;
as it withstood 
the tests of time
to reach, attain its call 
when pre-programmed destiny
called its roll
it never turned back
on me.

It took so long  
for penny to drop
Divine simply had 
to intervene -
when I was enthralled, smug
full of self
on stage where spotlight fellthat was all I could see
so deafened by clap 
and loud applause
it needed more 
for me to pause 
for once to look
do reality check
for real 'me' in me;
the Master therefore
took control
to break me 
out from under cover
of meaningless mirth
loiter and laughter
that I played with 
laze and ease
I was humbled then
brought down to knee
steered to know 
a certain Truth -
all that's in me 
of any worth
or of any matter
is that I am
I continue to be
no matter what befell
I've remained one who
is meant to last
to bear witness thru’ 
a lifetime of work
honour and behold
His lasting presence
in drama that'll unfold
that is all 
that has endured
in love of peace
with joy to share
without condition, non partisan
it wants become Whole
and One with any and all 
by willlingly living itself 
fully out through me,
all that's here 
as truly mine
I recognise, it only
comes from Him
its His alone 
and when His Will's done
to dot of 'i', cross of 't'
'I' that I am 
shall cease to be 
to Him I'll return
having lived
eternity thru' Eternal
indeed that's
the real ‘me’ in me.

No comments: